Reporting to: Shift Supervisor (on duty)
Weekly hours: Minimum 2 hours a month
Place of Volunteering: Dublin Food Co-op, Inchicore Road, Dublin
Our Vision: A food system where people collectively control access to affordable, wholesome and sustainably grown food and related products.
Our Purpose: To provide affordable, wholesome and sustainable food and related products to our members and the wider community.
Our values: Sustainability – Ethics – Solidarity – Accessibility – Openness – Co-operation – Community
The role of ‘Shop Operative’ is an exciting opportunity for anyone who wants to combine their passion for healthy, sustainable and ethically sourced food with volunteering in a community-led enterprise.
You will be the foundation of us continuing to offer the best possible service to our members and will support us operating our co-operative in line with our values and principles.
- You will be assisting us with the core operations of the Shop while on duty, working alongside our team of Shift Supervisors, Shop Operatives and other Shop Volunteers.
- You will complete the daily, weekly and monthly assigned to your shifts, and will record the completion of these tasks as required
- Where appropriately trained, you will operate the tills in accordance with our procedures
- You will assist with keeping the Shop well stocked at all times – ensuring that our produce is well presented and available for members/customers.
- You will assist with maintaining our merchandising and display standards within the Shop
- You will assist with receiving, processing and storing orders as they arrive at the Shop.
- You will assist with keeping the Shop clean, tidy and hygiene at all times in line with public health regulation
- You will work alongside, support and supervise our Shop Volunteers while on duty
- You will ensure that while on duty we maintain the highest standards of service for our members, and that the Co-op is a welcoming and convivial place to visit.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
All training will be provided prior to working on any of these tasks. If you have prior experience and training, you will be able to move straight to those tasks.
- Operating tills in accordance with DFC procedures
- Assisting members with purchases
- Stocking of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Stocking shelves
- Arranging vegetables for display, stocking and storing as required. Please note that this may involve lifting goods up to 25kg
- Processing orders
- General Cleaning
- Merchandising & display of goods in the shop
- You have experience working in a retail environment.
- You have experience dealing directly with customers.
- You have an understanding of organic wholefoods, as well as ecologically acceptable products and activities.
- You have an understanding of what makes cooperatives different from other forms of enterprise.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- You are proactive and seek solutions to problems
- You work well as part of a team
- You want to continually improve how you work
- You care about the details, but don’t forget the big picture
LEARNING / EXPERIENCE OUTCOMES
- Learn to work as part of a horizontal, self-organising team, and have confidence giving and receiving direction
- Learn how to work well with a diverse group of people from different backgrounds, perspectives and experience levels
- Learn how to complete a range of tasks in retail co-operative environment
- Develop a greater understanding about how our food system works
Express your interest here.